Frequently Asked Questions about the OAP
1. What are your hours for equipment rental? We are open 11am-1pm Monday- Thursday and 10am-6pm Friday. Saturday, and Sunday.
2. Do you rent________? That depends on what it is. We offer everyting from tents and sleeping bags to bikes and kayaks. Some things we do not rent include: snowmobiles/ATVs, fishing equipment, skis(of any type), and generally anything with a motor.
3. I am not a student, can I rent from the OAP? YES! We are open to the public for all of our equipment rentals.
4. Do I need to make a reservation? No, but it will guarantee that the equipment that you need will be available for you. We require payment at time of reservation.
5. What if I need to cancel my reservation? You can cancel, but depending on how far in advance of your reservation you may not receive a full refund. If you cancel less than 3 days prior to your reservation, you will forgo your payment. Check out our policy here.
6. Where are you located? We are at 207 East. St in Houghton. We are right on the corner of MacInnes Drive and US-41, across from the Van Pelt Library on the Michigan Tech Campus.
7. How much does is cost to rent_______? Clink here for our updated price list for all of our equipment rentals.
8. How can I get a job at the OAP? Click here for more information.
History and Support for the OAP
The Outdoor Adventure Program (OAP) is part of Michigan Technological University which is located in Houghton on the Keweenaw Peninsula in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. As a prime location for outdoor adventures, such as kayaking, canoeing, backpacking, and climbing, the OAP strives to get students, faculty, staff, and community members outside and active!
We help connect students to the outdoors through guided trips, leadership training, information sessions, equipment rental, and by working closely with student organizations to help advertise and program events. We have been busy working hard to bring students excellent outdoor opportunities.
The OAP was created in 2006 with support from Alumni Charles (’36) and Patricia Nelson and the idea that Michigan Tech can provide students with great outdoor experiences. With a grand vision and humble beginnings in the lower level of the Memorial Union Building, the OAP moved to the new location in 2010. What started as a result of the need to provide students with the means to get outside and take advantage of the great outdoors has turned into one of the best reasons outside of academics to come to Michigan Tech. The program has grown tremendously due to the support of administration, the use of services by the students, and the grassroots efforts to provide low cost equipment rentals and trips to all students.
Donate to the OAP!
Donate to the Outdoor Adventure Program! Here we will distribute money in the ways we find to offer students the best outdoor experiences possible. We are here to offer students a once in a lifetime opportunity and your offerings are what make these kinds of things possible. Want a canoe or kayak named after you? This is a great way to show your passion and commitment to Michigan Technological University. In the textbox on the donation page, just type in “Outdoor Adventure Program” so your gift can be allocated correctly. Your donations will be used responsibly and will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!