All climbers are required to sign an OAP waiver form prior to participation. The SDC is not responsible for lost or stolen property. Please do not leave valuables unattended.
The SDC Facility Rules apply to the Climbing Wall, as well as the following wall specific rules.
- A signed waiver is required in order to use the boulder and climbing wall.
- Climbers below the age of 18 years old must have a parent or legal guardian to sign the form.
- Fill out the waiver prior to your visit to speed up the process at the wall.
- Show valid ID or day pass at the multipurpose room checkpoint and proceed to the climbing wall to check in with staff and sign waiver.
- Use of the wall without the supervision and approval of the OAP is prohibited.
- All climbers must comply with the judgement and decisions of the wall supervisor(s) on duty at the wall.
- The climbing wall is open to SDC members, Michigan Tech students, and day pass users during open wall hours.
- Do not walk on, stand on, or use the ropes improperly.
- Only rock climbing equipment approved by Climbing Wall Staff is to be used at the climbing wall.
- The use of cellular phones, MP3 players, headphones or similar devices is prohibited while belaying or climbing.
- Climbing with a cellular phone, MP3 players, headphones, or similar devices that could be dropped onto or injure others is prohibited.
- Participants must remove any jewelry (necklaces, rings, bracelets, etc.) prior to climbing to prevent injury.
- Only appropriate climbing footwear is permitted on climbing surfaces. The use of rock climbing shoes or athletic shoes is recommended. No bare feet or mountaineering boots allowed on the climbing wall.
- Helmets are required and available for free.
- No snacks, food or beverage (except bottled water) is allowed in the SDC Multipurpose gym.
- No climbing or belaying is allowed while under the influence of intoxicating substances.
- The use of vulgar language or improper conduct will result in loss of climbing privileges.
- Bouldering is only allowed over padded areas.
- Do not boulder under roped climbers.
- It is recommended to have a minimum of one spotter per climber when bouldering.
- When bouldering, the boulderer's feet shall not pass above the height of the wall equivalent to the height of the boulderer's shoulders at ground level.
- A climber's voluntary participation in bouldering indicates their acknowledgement that bouldering is dangerous and a spotter may not prevent injuries.
- Spotters understand that they may be injured by the boulderer if they should fall.
- Move the provided landing mats to the best position to protect you from a fall when bouldering.
- Only SDC Climbing Wall certified belayers are permitted to belay climbers.
- All belayers and climbers agree to utilize proper belaying technique and agree to DOUBLE CHECK their set-up before beginning the climb.
- The belayer will check the climbers gear and knots, and the climber will check the belayer’s system and exchange confirmation that the set-up is correct. This is most important and must be performed at the start of each and every climb!
- The belayer must pay attention to the climber at all times.
- The belayer should lower the climber slowly, and with both hands, to avoid a possible rope-burn/drop accident.
- Anchoring is recommended for all belayers (though not required). It is especially recommended that the belayer anchor when the climber is much heavier than the belayer.
- When climbers are on the wall, spectators myst stay behind the belayers to not interfere.
Any infractions of the above rules will result in loss of privileges for that event. Repeated infractions will result in loss of climbing privileges.